Organizing space is not an easy task given the size of modern apartments, and if there are children living in the house, the difficulty doubles. The need to arrange a place for schoolchildren to study is a challenge for many parents. Children’s room should combine so many important functions: here and a recreation area, and bedroom, and work space, and a place to store personal belongings for children.
In the bustle of gathering for school, we propose to break down what should be the ideal workplace of a schoolboy in a child’s room.
What should be taken into account when planning a school child’s workplace
Teachers have developed several parameters, which should meet the area for the child’s activities. If the schoolchild has his own room, the task of organizing the space is simplified.
Even in a small area of 8-10 square meters, you can install everything you need for classes and allocate a zone for sleep and leisure.
For lack of personal space in the child’s room, the workplace is usually made in the largest room in the house – the living room. And even here you can create a secluded corner that will be comfortable and meet the safety requirements for health.
A place for learning
When planning a workspace for your child, keep in mind the following things:
The optimal solution for setting up a desk would be a window. If there is no possibility to organize a place for classes near a natural source of light, a corner version will also be convenient.
It is worth taking into consideration:
- If the child is right-handed, then the table is set to the left of the window, if left-handed, then to the right.
- A desk lamp should have a power of at least 80 W and a soft spectrum.
It is desirable for a schoolboy to have his own room, but not all parents’ living space allows for such a space.
It is possible to separate the space for studies from the general living space with the help of screens or shelves, where textbooks, books or indoor plants will be placed.
A secluded corner can be created in the living room, where you can put a table and chair, hang shelves for books and other attributes of the learning process.
Between the tabletop and hanging shelves, it is necessary to adhere to the parameter of at least 70 cm. At the same time the schoolchild should reach the top tier without using a chair.
The main thing, according to specialists’ observations, is to involve the schoolchild in the organization of his workplace. It is necessary to choose furniture, lighting and accessories for classes together with the child, then he/she will immediately understand that this is his/her space.
If a pupil himself organizes his corner, he will feel comfortable in it, and such an environment directly affects the quality of learning and grades.
What furniture is needed to equip the place for school children
Now a child, even in junior high school, needs a computer , so you should take care in advance about the table that will accommodate the monitor and system unit.
First of all, the furniture should be comfortable and appropriate to the height of the student so as not to cause stooping and back fatigue during classes.
It is worth paying attention to the color of the table and chair, it is better to exclude dark colors, which depress the immature psyche of the child.
What should the furniture for the nursery be made of?
The most common materials will be MDF, LDF and solid wood. When buying a table or corner for a schoolchild, you should check the availability of a safety certificate.
Furniture should not have a pronounced smell of varnish or paint – it can cause headaches for the child and allergic reactions of all kinds.
MDF is more resistant to mechanical damage than LDPE, but costs more.
Also in stores you can find tables and chairs made of solid wood. Solid wood is the most environmentally friendly and safe for children, but furniture made of this material is usually more expensive.
A table and chair for the schoolchildren’s workplace
Stores sell a lot of furniture options for children of different ages, but it will be difficult for the family to buy sets for the child’s growth every year.
It is worth considering the purchase of a table and chair for a schoolchild with the ability to adjust the height, then these items of interior will last until high school, and will not cause discomfort when doing homework.
What requirements should be met by the table for a schoolchild:
- height – the child’s elbows should rest on the tabletop surface at a right angle;
- width – 60 cm and more – for productive work and for the possibility to install a computer monitor;
- a length of 1 m or more – for a comfortable learning experience;
- free space for feet under the table top – is a minimum of 45×50 cm.
If there is not enough space in the room, the best solution would be to buy a loft bed, where the bottom is equipped with a place for studies.
Particular attention should be paid to the chair for the schoolchild. Improperly selected furniture will cause rapid fatigue, curvature of the spine and slouching.
What should be a chair for a schoolchild:
- Seat – soft orthopedic base with upholstery made of hypoallergenic fabric, natural cotton and viscose will do;
- Height – at the height of 110-120 cm the optimal parameter will be 30-32 cm, 120-160 cm choose a seat with an index of 40-42 cm from the floor;
- Safety – it is necessary to exclude models on wheels, especially for children of primary school age, it is better to choose metal or wooden legs;
- Comfort – the height of the seat should allow the child to set the feet on the floor, if this does not happen, you need a special bench;
- Backrest – S-shaped models with a height to the shoulder blades or a chair with a lumbar protrusion.
If there is a question of what model to choose, then medical professionals recommend paying attention to orthopedic designs. And also knee chair with adjustable footrest, ergonomic with lumbar ledge and bolsters in the collar zone and the chair-transformer, which allows you to adjust the height and angle of inclination of the back.
Parents need to eliminate the possibility of clutter on the desk in advance and provide schoolchildren with storage places for textbooks, notebooks, books and stationery.
We will list a few tricks that will help to solve the problem with the distribution of belongings.
- Put an organizer, a device for setting books and a clock on the desk, so that the class has 40 minutes to do the lessons and 20 minutes to rest.
- Hanging shelves and racks are a must for the proper organization of the workplace.
- The furniture should have drawers and open niches, where you can put a school backpack or bag, a bag of a change of shoes and a small trash garbage can.
- In order for the furniture to “grow” with the needs of the child it is worth considering buying modular sets or transformers.
To free up space on the tabletop, it is better to use hanging organizers, hooks and stands – school corners or modular furniture have enough surfaces where they can be installed.
In this case, the schoolchild will be able to organize his own space with regard to comfort and coziness, and the parents will only need to help with a little rearrangement.
Useful little things that school children need
Visual information, the schedule of lessons and additional classes should always be in front of the child’s eyes.
For example, neither parents nor schoolchildren are impressed by sticking papers on the walls, so the best solution would be a magnetic, slate or cork board, where it is easy to write or fix the necessary information on paper.
What else a school child might need for classes:
- Storage of trifles. It is necessary to provide the child with a sufficient number of hooks, hangers and hanging organizers with pockets that will be located in direct access.
- Extra comfort. Tipped table for classes, which will allow you to change the position of the body and recline in a chair with a laptop or drawing, which will make the learning process more comfortable.
- A garland of yellow light bulbs. Such a lighting device gives a soft glow, which is necessary to organize the child in the evening. Yellow light bulbs act soothingly on the nervous system and allow you to relax.
What should not be in the room of a schoolboy
Parents should always supervise the child, regardless of age.
The first thing that teachers advise is to exclude TV from the working space of the child.
It is also necessary to turn off the device when the schoolboy does homework in the living room, otherwise it will be difficult for him to concentrate on his studies.
If a schoolboy has his own room, and he does well with homework and grades, it does not mean that it is necessary to let education on its own.
Secrets of space optimization: dismantling the children’s room with workstations for three children
If there is a large family living in the house, you can’t do without allocating a separate room for schoolchildren. Three children will require separate workstations for homework.
And if there are girls and boys in the same space together, you need to take care of the visual separation of beds to ensure the privacy of children by gender. And also provide different places to store clothes.
In this case, even in a small area, you can intelligently optimize space and create a comfortable environment for each child.
To save space as much as possible, it is better to install one bunk bed in the room and a corner with a bed upstairs and a table downstairs.
For two schoolchildren, the workspace can be organized in the window sill area if you increase its area in width. You can put a couple of nightstands at the bottom and hang shelves on the sides of the window sill.
Girls and boys in one room
For single-sex children, it is better to put a bunk bed, and the workplace to allocate along one of the walls in the form of a long countertop, the bottom of which are set benches.
Separate the girl or boy can be a closet, then the child will feel comfortable.
Behind this piece of furniture there is a regular bed and a desk or a bunk corner with a place to study.
In this way, each of the children will have enough space to feel comfortable during classes.
Regardless of the number of children in the house, each of them should have their own space.