Mediterranean style in the interior is suitable for a beautiful decoration of the house and apartment. This direction has its own characteristics, the main features of the interior – lightness, charm, conciseness. The use of luxury and strongly appealing accessories is forbidden. The theme of design accompanies the maritime style, summer climate.
Characteristic features of the style
The Mediterranean direction is very graceful and interesting. It should have an abundance of tenderness, airiness. The bias goes to the variety of climatic conditions, so the direction is partially combined with modernism. The proposed direction of the interior consists of the following features:
- the presence of large and bright rooms with spacious windows;
- for finishing surfaces use non-toxic paints, wood, marble, natural stone;
- use of natural textiles – airy light canopy, light tulle, decorative cushions of cotton and linen;
- marine beach color scheme with the decor of underwater shells, corals, plants, imitating algae;
- installation of functional and essential furniture;
- the operation of lighting fixtures: wall or ceiling with elements of forging.
The use of patterns is mandatory. They dictate Arabic decorative style. All lines in ornaments are smoothed and smooth, all drawings are associated with the sea, the beach, the clean summer air.
What varieties there are
Mediterranean interior design is classified into several types.
In this direction, warm and light colors are welcome. Soft motifs, elegant decorations are the main features of the graceful Italian direction of the Mediterranean style. Sunny yellow, beige, orange, peach, pale pink, olive, pistachio and light tones of green are considered the main shades.
In the Italian style, all types of decor are necessarily complemented by handmade: painting, wood carving, sharpening, and wrought iron elements. The rooms feature organic and practical furniture. It is used for its intended purpose: to store books from the old library, the arrangement of accessories, storage of various small things in drawers.
This type is characterized by the use in the design of shades of emerald, turquoise, green, yellow, lemon. Cool tones – blue and blue – are also used. Black is also welcomed. It is used for edging pictures, door trims, moldings.
This is characterized by alternation of several opposite shades. In any of the rooms can be observed harmony of white and blue. Allowed inclusions of red, orange and pink hues. Do not do without natural décor. Its role will be played by ceramic or earthenware. It will symbolize the ancient craft, which people were engaged in in Greece.
Characteristic features of this variety are considered white smooth walls, elegant arches in the kitchen or living room, perforated partitions made of natural wood. When decorating the kitchen, tiles with oriental ornaments are used.
Carpets, capes, chic curtains with a dense texture are all thematic decorations. When decorating the bathroom or toilet use pixel tiles in several approximate tones, as well as patchwork models.
Successful examples of interiors
The arrangement of the dwelling can be personified with the charm of the warm sea, summer azure, spaciousness. The main thing is the observance of proportion and the presence of sufficient light. Each room has individual requirements for Mediterranean interior design.
The kitchen in the Mediterranean style should be performed in lighter pleasant tones. A variety of oriental orientation is chosen in advance. As a decor use moulages of olives, pistachios, seafood, fruit. Properly created design will arouse appetite and positive emotions. A few criteria for the design of the kitchen:
- Finishing the walls with ceramic tiles with floral ornaments, smooth natural patterns;
- The main shades – blue, white, gray, bluish, silver, gold. Obligatory presence of opposite tones-companions: black, brown;
- In the ceiling zone, the beams are left exposed and painted with blue acrylic paint;
- The surface of the floor is finished with brown porcelain or ceramic tiles. Tiles imitating wood will do;
- The dining area is equipped with a large wooden table with a white tabletop and blue legs. The chairs should be wooden with olive upholstery.
The walls in the kitchen are lined with gentle shades, and the interior doors are discarded. Replace such an opening with a full-fledged arch. Kitchen furniture modules have a strict structure no fancy items, distinguished accessories should not be.
If the kitchen has a minimum amount of light, it must have good artificial light. Take care of a sufficient number of ceiling lights. Hang two or three more wall sconces if necessary.
The Mediterranean style in the bathroom interior looks very prestigious. It attracts attention with non-standard forms, original ornaments, spectacular decoration. The main features of such an interior in the bathroom:
- Finishing the floor will look spectacular, if you choose light colors with a darkened edge.
- The ceiling can be a few tones lighter. Topical is staining in peach, cream. The ceiling baguette is brown, standing out against the general background.
- The window opening, if there is one, is made with the slopes in the form of arches. Therefore, the frame itself must be chosen of the appropriate type.
- The outer part of the bath is finished with a mosaic. Welcome to choose a model with an ornament in a tone that matches the walls or one or two shades lighter.
- The wash basin area is complemented by a mirror in a square or rectangular frame. Its upper part can have a carved design.
- To store bath accessories: towels, diapers, bedspreads and other details allocate a separate zone. This can be a beautiful open shelving unit made of wood or a chest of drawers to match the walls.
- The window is decorated with turquoise or emerald dense moisture-resistant curtains. It is better to refuse from tulle. Because of the humidity and high temperature it may deteriorate.
Complemented the bathroom with live decorative plants in vases of beige, light, cream shades. To emphasize and complete the interior will help ceramic dishes for toothbrushes, paper towels, liquid soap. These minor accents should be greenish, turquoise, olive or emerald shades.
Mediterranean interior looks unusual and attractive. Despite the tenderness of the shades, it is welcome to dilute the room with blue, blue, lush green, grassy. This will only benefit the room. Observe the following criteria in the design of the bedroom:
- Cork flooring is an alternative to any laminate. On such a surface is very comfortable to walk on, it will not sag over time, it does not absorb moisture with a properly applied treatment.
- If there is a double bed, it is decorated with a high openwork canopy. It is sewn from a light fabric. It will emphasize the airiness, style and lightness of the room. The textile is attached to the metal canopy, painted blue.
- The ceiling in the room should look a few shades lighter. Use a shade of ivory, cream, milk. Each of them goes well with the basic palette of the Mediterranean.
- The bed is necessarily covered with a bedspread. For decoration use decorative pillows with light blue cases, interesting ruffles and frills. The sleeping place should look lush, attract attention and be distinguished by delicate features.
- Doors to the bedroom can be painted a light blue color (heavenly). To do this, be sure to install a wooden canvas. Complement the already painted canvas can be with light thematic painting: pointed leaves, floristics, seaweed and coral.
- For walls apply decorative plaster, with its help it is easy to make the surface rough. On top of such a texture, draw beautiful patterns with scrolls and monograms.
Do not forget about the additional garnish. It is mandatory to have bedside tables on both sides of the bed. They may differ in color from the textiles of the bedding. On top of them place small lamps, nightlights. They try to accentuate the attention: to highlight the color or complement the decor.
The Mediterranean style requires a lot of light. Light shades: peach, coffee, beige, light brown. What should be observed when decorating the living room:
- The ceiling and walls should be predominantly white. One of the walls is better complemented by vertical wide flat strips. They visualize the height of the ceiling.
- If the living room has upholstered furniture, be sure to complement such corners with small wooden coffee tables. They are convenient for leisure and tea drinking.
- Shade of sofas and armchairs is better to choose a neutral. Beige, pale peach and moonlight are optimal. They can be covered with light-colored cases. Decorate the upholstered corner with cushions of blue, yellow or orange.
- Present shelves, window sills can be decorated with small flowering, weaving houseplants. On the table, too, do not do without accessories. These include corals, sea rock vases, mini aquariums, pearls in a shallow dish.
Do not leave the walls empty, decorate them with paintings in the sea theme. Choose one corner, and put there a beautiful volumetric pot with a date palm.
For the children’s room choose the directions of Greek and Italian. The first is characterized by gentle, soothing tones. The second interior solution is characterized by the use of green, blue, orange, red shades of the palette. The main features of the children’s room in the Mediterranean style:
- A children’s room that faces the sunny side should be lined in light, cool colors: cream, moon, star. Blue-green and blue will make the room moderately cool. Such tones are used for decorating, highlighting the working or leisure area.
- The color of the ceiling is white. It can be structural. The ideal solution is to make a surface with an unusual texture to emphasize the Mediterranean style. Mix decorative plaster and gypsum crumb. After application and drying, the ceiling becomes rough, attracts attention with its heterogeneity.
- It is acceptable to build artificial shelves from gypsum board and plaster them in a special way: take a different color, apply thematic painting, decorate with plaster figurines. Such shelves will serve to arrange toys, textbooks, accessories.
- On the walls or in certain areas looks great stylized painting. Play the role of décor can be a beautiful panel in the patchwork style. It is more suitable for decorating a room with older children. Beautiful antique paintings with balconies, loggias, swinging windows emphasize the Mediterranean style.
- The furniture should be natural, made of wood. There should be no paint and varnish on top. An ideal solution – the imitation of old wood. Other wood is important to thematically decolorize: depict a seascape, draw the bottom of the ocean, paint so as to create an accent.
- Textiles take an important place in the interior of the room. A lot of bright colors contain curtains in the Mediterranean style, capes on the bed and chairs, decorations for furniture. If the baby’s bed is over a canopy, you can decorate it with bright objects: brooches depicting sea creatures, seaweed, fish. On the floor lay striped runners as mats. It is important not to buy them with a high pile.
Accessories for the children’s room will be frames for small paintings and photos, pendant lamps with an ethnic bias, round colored pillows with a strict geometric pattern.
Entrance Hall or Corridor
The room one sees immediately upon entering the house should be pleasant. By decorating it in the Mediterranean style, it will be possible to avoid many shortcomings. The main features of the hallway in the proposed direction:
- The walls in such a hallway are always made in relief. Some carelessness is welcome. To give the surface the desired shade, acrylic paint or decorative plaster with tint are used. Corners on the slopes are lined with special stone or shaped cut foam.
- Facing the floor should be interestingly decorated. To this end, resort to the use of mosaic tiles or tiles stylized as marble. Less commonly used wood – for small rooms.
- In hallways can not do without furniture. It must be made of wood. The choice of garniture in light color is welcome. Massive hangers, internal open niches will perfectly emphasize the design. Wicker drawers for shoes, hats and scarves look original. They are installed on top of furniture or inside, if space allows.
- Even in the hallway there should be enough light. It has to be organized artificially. In the Mediterranean style the installation of not only the ceiling, but also the floor lighting is welcome. The latter is done with the help of high floor lamps. Near the functional area, near the mirror, there are often wall lamps with a good angle of light scattering.
Complement the style with accessories: columns, stained glass, photo wallpaper, themed figures (palm trees, artificial plants, paintings and collages).
Useful design ideas
Figuring out the competent lining of surfaces and decorating, it will be useful to study a few ideas for decoration. Such can be applied when implementing the Mediterranean interior style in modern homes.
In a spacious living room, hanging lights on a long wire is welcome. On a light background of upholstered furniture and walls effectively look ethnic models. Dilute the situation with a tall palm tree in the corner of the room. So that the sofa does not look too boring and not practical, sew for it square cushions, put on them silk or satin cases, yellow or blue with different prints.
If the living room provides several upholstered sofas in a light color, they can easily be complemented by blue cushions with patterns or ornaments. A soft, thin mattress is complemented by a wicker coffee table. Opposite one of the upholstered corners you can put a swivel chair with light blue coloring. Greatly dilutes the interior greenery. Its role is played by a potted flower, which is often installed in the background of the room.
Mediterranean style in the interior looks good in a spacious living room. For such design is characterized by the creation of a high entrance arch. A good idea to emphasize the space is to install several semicircular sofas, on the floor to bed a carpet in the form of a circle. As a coffee table, a small set with a reflective surface is constructed. As always, complements the surroundings with live vegetation: cacti, ficuses, toadstools.
The Mediterranean style is a successful combination of sea and airy atmosphere. This harmony fits well in living rooms. The setting turns out cozy, lush and colorful. It represents warmth, elegance and lightness. In rooms, decorated accordingly and breathes easier.